Tuesday 9 October 2007

Plants? Let's eat them.

I have been reading in the newspapers that vegetables we frequently consumed have been found to be highly contaminated with carcinogenic pesticide residues. Though the findings done by the Institute for Medical Research (IMR) and Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia were later refuted, I still have my doubts when my vegetables taste more bitter than they should. I wonder if it is because of my greens shopping habits. It could be that I have not been soaking them long enough...

While I am figuring that out, I am also looking into other options; like growing my own! To have a wider variety, let me see if I am able to generate the interest of my "common backyard" neighbours to join me in this green effort. First, I will have to convince them that it is easy with this "Plant Propagation by Leaf, Cane, and Root Cuttings: Instructions for the Home Gardener" article.

So, what can we grow? I am sure we will all decide on something after going through "Plants of the Future". We can also consider root planting from bulbs, corms, tubers and rhizomes; so, no more throwing that partly rotting whatever. Just try planting them. Does not matter that it will rot further when it will organically fertilise our greens, right?

Talk about root planting, it is time to be friendly with the cook at the Char Kueh Teow stall if I want to get hold of some clam shells.

No comments: