Friday 11 May 2007

You have handmade some. Now what?

So, you have been to my blog and you have been inspired to create using your collection of abandoned material. Now what? Sell them!

Stop! Don't hand in that resignation letter yet. First you have to show off your creations to your relatives, friends and neighbours to see how they react to your artistic venture. Start by giving them out as gifts to friends who have invited you to their functions or sell it at cost price to your siblings and ask them to help you to promote them.

What! You cannot decide how much you should priced them? OK, I have to admit, I have a problem pricing my work too when I first started and it took one of my students to make me realised that I should value what I have created.

My student can't help you there but no fear, here are some willing teachers.

Business of Crafts by Fiber-Images

If you are into jewellery making, check out these websites:

Business How-To's & Industry Trends a jewelry making managed by Tammy Powley.

How to Price your Wire Jewelry for Wholesale or Retail Business by Wire Sculpture. Also check out their list of "Jewelry Making Tips and Tricks".

Don't miss Eni Oken's postings on "Tools, Tips & Materials". You will be impressed by her "Bead Cost Calculator" which is in excel file format that you can download to work on. She also has a "Colour Schemes" software that you can also download so that you do not have to pull your hair out wondering what colours of beads and crystals you should buy or how to match what you have. No, I will not be getting any commission for recommending them because she is offering them free on her website. But I do gain something though. Free inspirations just looking at her creations.

You may also want to join some relevant forums to read some experiences fellow jewellers have gone through. There is a group from the Bead and Button community who share their tips about "Selling Jewellery Online".

Now that you have some tricks up your sleeves and have an idea on how to price your creations, look out for seminars being organised in your state. Example, Institut Kefahaman Islam Malaysia (IKIM) will be conducting a seminar on "Recycling: A Business Opportunity for Women" on 12 and 13 June and they will be setting up stalls at their venue at this address:

INSTITUT KEFAHAMAN ISLAM MALAYSIA (IKIM)
2, Langgak Tunku, Off Jalan Duta,
50480 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel : 03-62046200
Fax : 03-62014189
Email : info@ikim.gov.my

How did I get my lead for this? I am a member of eHomemakers' network and have subscribed to their newsletter. I have participated in their activities and have registered my interest on their forum and in events that they have posted on their website.

So, what if you prefer to teach over selling? Then look out for my next posting on this subject.

No comments: