Wednesday 28 May 2008

Hey! Did you throw this?

I found 6 steel hangers in the recycling bins of a kindergarten in my neighbourhood a few years back. They were a little tarnished from use. As I was on a recycling project with the school, I decided to bring them back to see what I can do with them. Here is a picture of one of them.



I took a plastic bag and cut it into strips. I then wrapped the strips around the hanger and hold them in place with the help of double sided tape. This is how it turned out after I have added a little bow to it.



I have showcased them during exhibitions and I always get a good response for the idea.

If you go to AllFreeCrafts Blog, you can learn how to braid your hangers or incorporate lacy material to them so that they can hold some potpourri. At Free Craft Unlimited you can even learn to crochet a hanger cover.

Other than that, you can also use clothes hangers for arts & crafts projects for children. Debbie Noah who wrote about her hanger arts & crafts idea calls her creations "Happy Hangers".

You do not have to be arty to be able to save things from landing in the trash can. For example, you can turn a broken wineglass into a cheap phone alarm amplifier. So, before you throw anything, take a look at it again to see if you can do something about it.

Now, what can I do with this broken toy? Maybe my husband should take a look at it first. After all, he was able to convert a broken garden lamp into a night lamp for our children's room.

No comments: