Friday 13 April 2007

Books? Torn beyond repair? Good!

I enjoy reading and I have this desire to instill this thirst for knowledge in my children. I wrapped their school books and books that I have bought and hope that they will notice the value I placed in processing them.

What I have observed though is that my children have taken books for granted as they are always on the book shelves ever ready for them to read when they are in the mood for it. So, when the Sungai Long Buddhist Society set up a library at their centre, I decided to leave their books there so that other children can appreciate them too.

Has my decision to give their books away affected them? Whenever they are at the centre and find time on their hands, they will be sitting in the library reading "their books" and books other parents have gladly contributed.

So, if you have books that your children have outgrown and they need a new home, consider sending them to the orphanage where the children there can appreciate. Maybe your church or some non profit organisation will be able to raise some funds by selling them. This is where I am sending my collections:

Sungai Long Buddhist Society
7-2, Jalan SL 1/3
Bandar Sungai Long
43000 Kajang
Selangor D.E.
E-Mail: info@slbuddhists.org

No, it is not a good idea to contribute books that are damaged beyond repair. But here is a little trick you can learn to let the children continue to enjoy processing it.

How To Make a Secret Hollow Book

No comments: